Friday, February 5, 2016

Mørket - Musta Luonto

Mørket - Musta Luonto
2015 / Crust, punk, black metal


The first time I got to know Mørket was in october 2015 when they were warming up for Cut to Fit and Feastem at Lepakkomies. I myself didn't warm up to attend the gig, because even if I've learned to listen to grindcore as the time passes, I'm not fond of the genre enough to travel to the neighboring city. Mørket first gained my attention because of its unusual name and after that I was even more aroused because of their occult artwork. The last nail to the coffin were the lyrics that are completely in Finnish. I couldn't resist myself from pressing the play button anymore and I have no regrets because of my decision. I could've added this to my top 2015 list, but at the time I was writing it, I hadn't listened to this album as much as I would've wanted to so I couldn't write anything coherent enough.

The first track is the album title song 'Musta Luonto' and it sort of reminds me of Ajattara. 'Syli' begins with pleasant punk speeding, and the intro for 'Suitset' could be heard in some 90's black metal classic. None of the aforementioned are bad attributes, rather vice versa. My favourite song is probably either the track number six, 'Kulje Kanssani', whose name itself gives me some serious Twin Peaks vibes, intentional or not, or the next track 'Suo.' The album as a whole is a befitting mess consisting of punk, crust and black metal and the combination works even better than well, even if I usually listen to the latter of the genres. Even though the lyrics deal with rather grim topics and the music itself is sort of rough, the album feels energetic and like one can figure out from the first paragraph, Finnish language is a huge pro for me. The lyrics work perfectly, are simple enough and even if they are simple, one can easily think of deeper meanings to them.

Today I sort of regret skipping the gig in autumn, but I'll probably get another chance to witness their live in future. And if there's ever going to be a physical release of this, I'm one of the eager buyers.

https://morketband.bandcamp.com

No comments:

Post a Comment